Intimacy causing pain not pleasure in a womanApril 5, 2018
Intimacy in senior couplesApril 19, 2018
This post discusses sexual problems in married couples
Sexual disorder or dysfunction can be categorised as sexual desire disorder, sexual arousal disorder, orgasm disorders and sexual pain disorders. These can be caused by:
- Unconsummated marriages due to lack of emotional bonding, conflicts in the couple, illness, different time schedules of work, can lead to this and can prolong for years.
- Idiopathic infertility may arise though the test repost of both man and woman are normal this may be triggered by stress, conflicts, financial problems, increased age of couples due to late marriage, sex therapy benefits such couple immensely so consult a good sexologist asap.
- Abnormally low production of hormones – estrogen in women and testosterone in both men and women cause sexual desire disorder.
- Pregnancy, ageing, fatigue and side-effects of medications can also cause sexual arousal disorder. Depression or anxiety also has a dampening effect on sexual desire. Men and women may develop an aversion to the contact of each other.
- Lack of sexual arousal is seen as failure of men to maintain erection, partially or completely; and in women – lack of vaginal lubrication. It can be natural or due to some underlying cause. Decreased blood flow to the vagina or penis due to medical conditions or a chronic illness can also be the cause of arousal disorder.
- Lack of orgasm after a normal period of sexual excitement if often the result of side-effects from SSRI anti-depressants. This is found in both men and women.
- Sexual pain disorders mostly affect women. Dyspareunia and vaginismus, painful intercourse and vaginal spasms during intercourse respectively are caused due to lack of vaginal lubrication in women. Poor vaginal lubrication may have been caused by lack of excitement and resultant arousal. It could also be due to changes after menopause or breast-feeding. Contraceptive creams may also cause lubrication problems and so also sexual fear and anxiety.
- Sexual abuse of women can lead to vaginismus. Women may also suffer from vulvar vestibulitis which leads to pain during intercourse.
- Sexual disorders are more common in men and women who are alcoholics and drug abusers.
- It is also much more probable in people with medical conditions such as diabetes or other degenerative neurological problems.
- Psychological problems, trouble in relationships, or chronic disenchantment and conflict with the sexual partner can also get in the way of sexual function.
- Lack of knowledge of anatomy and physiology, lack of sex education, STI, fear and performance pressure also causes problems in the married couple drifting them apart.
- Urinary tract infection, due to frequent and unhygienic sex has a tendency to recur with symptoms like, pain in lower abdomen, burning during urination, frequency, urgency, etc. and this needs to be addressed ASAP by a Sexologist. As this disorder has a tendency to recur and might even cause scarring of kidney if proper timely treatment is not given to the patient.
Make an Appointment with Dr. Sharmila Majumdar at the Sexual & Mental Health Clinic, Avis Hospital, Jubilee Hills, Hyderabad